7/31/2013 – Consumer Affairs Scam Alert Govt Look-alikes

7/2/2013 – Consumer Affairs Scam Alert Govt Look-alikes


Links to Common Government Forms



State of California

Franchise Tax Board

Employment Development Department

State Board of Equalization

Secretary of State

Affordable Care

Health insurance: Everyone must have health insurance in 2014 and everyone required to file a tax return must report their health insurance.

You will need proof of your insurance. You may receive a government form such as Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement, or you may receive a certificate from your health insurance company. If you don’t, you may need to show us a copy of your policy.

If you purchased or will purchase health insurance through the exchange (or “marketplace”), you may receive tax credits. If you received advance credits you must file a tax return to report them. To properly claim your credits, you must provide us with Form 1095-A.

If you were not covered at any time during the year, you may have to pay a penalty unless you’re entitled to an exemption. Some exemptions are claimed on the tax return and others require a certificate from the exchange. We cannot claim an exchange exemption without that certificate.

To obtain the exemption, individuals must first submit an application to the exchange along with the necessary documentation. The process takes at least two weeks, and may take considerably longer if you wait and the process gets crowded.

To avoid delay of your refunds and to avoid complications in preparing your returns, we encourage you to obtain your exemption now.

The full list of exemptions can be found at:

The application for exemption can be found at: